Next Steps in Derm offers a comprehensive set of resources to help young physicians advance their career through practice management tips and tools to meet compliance requirements in the field of dermatology.
FREE DERMATOLOGY RESOURCES FOR RESIDENTS AND YOUNG DERMATOLOGISTS
Journal of Drugs in Dermatology (JDD) is a full-color, peer-reviewed publication indexed with MEDLINE®/PubMed®, was founded by the renowned Dr. Perry Robins, MD. Now in its 15th year, it offers one of the fastest routes to disseminate dermatologic information, and is considered the fastest growing publication in dermatology.
ODAC 2018 Medical, Aesthetic and Surgical Dermatology Conference –
Dermatology Authority – Bringing practices and new providers together as
well as helping practices obtain the tools to thrive in an ever-changing healthcare market. Their mission is: For dermatologists to stay focused on patient care, let our trusted advisors help you grow your practice. Check out the job board!
NEXT STEPS PODCASTS
LEADING CULTURE CHANGE AND BUILDING YOUR TEAM BY HIRING EXCEPTIONAL EMPLOYEES
By: S. Tyler Hollmig
WHAT’S NEW, COOL AND HOT IN BODY CONTOURING
By: Jared Jagdeo
THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN STARTING A DERMATOLOGY PRACTICE
By: Anna Chacon
DERMATOLOGY BILLING AND CODING
CMS Releases ICD-10 Assessment and Maintenance Toolkit – The ICD-10 Next Steps Toolkit gives providers the tools and information to assess ICD-10 progress using key performance indicators. With the Toolkit, providers can identify and address opportunities for improvement and maintain progress on ICD-10. The Toolkit is also available as an infographic with an accompanying Key Performance Indicators fact sheet.
American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
Dermatologic Society of Greater New York
American Dermatological Association
The Dermatology Nurses’ Association
The American Society of Dermatology (ASD)
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
IMCAS – Aesthetic Surgery and Cosmetic Dermatolog
Skin of Color Society
Skin Cancer Foundation
Acne and Rosacea Society
National Psoriasis Foundation
American Society for Dermalogic Surgery (ASDS)
National Eczema Association
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS)
American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS)
Tools to stay in compliance:
HIPAA: The Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule provides federal protections for individually identifiable health information held by covered entities and their business associates and gives patients an array of rights with respect to that information.
CLIA: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regulates all laboratory testing (except research) performed on humans in the U.S. through the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). The Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) are federal standards to ensure quality of all laboratory testing.
iPLEDGE: The iPledge program is committed to Pregnancy prevention. The program is a computer-based risk management program designed to further the public health goal to eliminate fetal exposure to isotretinoin through a special restricted distribution program approved by the FDA.
For more information check out the Health Care Compliance Association: 2017 Health Care Resource Guide
Under the Sunshine ACT there entities are required to report payments or any item of value:
- Manufacturers of drugs, devices, biologics, and medical supplies covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
- Manufactures and group-purchasing organizations must disclose physician ownership or investment interests.
- Examples of gifts that are required to report:
- Consultation fees
- Lecture honoraria
- Charitable contribution
- Royalty or license
- Current or prospective ownership or investment interests for an unaccredited and non-certified CME program, or an accredited or certified CME program under certain circumstances
Supreme Court upholds Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Government Affairs office in Washington, D.C., at (202) 842-3555 or by email at [email protected] with your health policy questions.
BOARD PREP RESOURCES
- General dermatology books
- Andrews’ Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology
- Dermatology Secrets Plus
- Genodermatoses: A Clinical Guide to Genetic Skin Disorders
- Comprehensive Dermatologic Drug Therapy
- Hurwitz Clinical Pediatric Dermatology: A Textbook of Skin Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
- Dermatology: Illustrated Study Guide and Comprehensive Board Review
- Clinical Dermatology: A Manual of Differential Diagnosis
- Weedon’s Skin Pathology
- Lever’s Histopathology of the Skin
- Practical Dermatopathology
- Dermatopathology: Requisites in Dermatology
- Dermatopathology: Third Edition
- Dermatopathology: Diagnosis by First Impression
- DermpathPro Spot Diagnosis website
- Study guides
- Dermatology In-Review Online Practice Exam and Study System
- Dermatology Pictorial Review Book
- ASDS Study Guide for the ABD Exam and MOC-D
- Handbook of Dermatology: A Practical Manual
- Dermoscopy: An Illustrated Self-Assessment Guide
- Medical quiz websites
- Atlases and slides
- Atlas of Clinical Dermatology
- National Library of Dermatologic Teaching Slides
- Genital Dermatology Atlas
- Color Atlas of Dermatology
- General dermatology books